Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Greek Lemon Chicken Targine

1 onion chopped
Chicken Maryland pieces (1 each person)
Juice of 1 lemon & few thin slices of lemon for top of chicken
10 green beans topped & tailed and cut in inch long pieces, or chopped snow peas or asparagus whatever you have/ like
Handful of fresh thyme leaves
2-3 cloves garlic
About 8 green pitted olives & 8 prunes roughly chopped (I know your thinking prines?? -but they are REALLY lovely in chicken please trust me!)


Put half of the onion sprinkled on the base of the Targine (or deep dish casserole if you don't have one yet and are dropping subtle hints for Christmas!!)
Brown chicken pieces in a separate frypan. Put on top of onion
Deglaze frypan with the juice of one lemon & 100mls white wine ( I used traminer reisling) reduce until about 150 mls total. Add salt & pepper.
Put a slice of lemon on the top of each Maryland , sprinkle with rest of the onion, thyme leaves, green beans,chopped garlic, prunes & olives. Pour reduced deglaze liquid over top.
Put lid on targine and cook over low heat for 1 1/2 hours- the chicken will be tender and falling off the bone. I served it with herbed couscous- delicious!!!


Linked up at Tasty Tuesday & Tempt my tummy tuesday, YUMMO!!

5 comments:

  1. If I don't have a targine, would a dutch oven or a big pot? This sounds soo good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cassie,
    It was a hit, we will definately be having this again,
    the targine keeps the steam in and cooks slowly, I think a Dutch oven or a big casserole with lid in a slow oven would do just nicely too- you will have to try and let me know!
    Have a great week,

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a fancy dish. My husband loves Greek food. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up at http://selaandfamily.blogspot.com!
    This looks delicious, we'll have to try it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You ~Ron

    ReplyDelete